10.31.2005

Heads Down, Palms Up

OK, first things first.

Before I get into the main body of my post, I would like to welcome a new member of the blogging community and a new like to my "Other Friendly Blogs" list. He is "Man on Fire". Take a look at his blog...it is a lot different than the others ones that I have linked to and I like what he's done with the place. He makes comments on different things in the news and in sports (he's a rabid Pittsburgh Penguins and wicked ball fan) and runs the blog like a personal newspaper/magazine. Good reading...check it out, make comments, encourage the guy to write more; he's a new guy (I still consider myself new) and we all need our encouragement.

OK, enough of the free advertising.

In recent days (all three weeks of them), I've been introduced to the concept of "Palms Down, Palms Up" prayer. My mentor introduced me to it and it has really helped me organize my thoughts and emotions before God. This idea is rather simple and I encourage people to try it at least once; you never know...it might work for you too!

You start with the "Palms Down" phase. During this phase, you pray with your palms down; whether it be on the table in front of you, at your sides, whatever. The key thing is that your palms be physically face down so that it is a physical reminder of your prayer. As you pray at this time, talk to God about all of your problems, negative emotions and any other cares that you need to cast before the Lord. That's why your palms are face down; indicative of casting your cares before Jesus because he cares for you.

In the "Palms Up" phase, you praise God and give thanks to him for everything that he has done for you and for all the blessings that you have recieved from him. Know that you can thank him for everything and anything.

The challenge with this method of prayer is to try to get the two phases balanced in how long they take. Essentially, it helps you build trust in God and to learn how to be thankful.

Give it a shot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home