5.10.2006

"The Dean", "theDING" and "The Chap-man"

Well, it has been a long time since I've written, but that's because I really didn't feel like that there was much to write about. Life has been really nuts lately and it feels kind of wierd that I'm not at college any more, but there's this time of life that we call "transition" that makes us stop, think and even act really confused.

But I've been assurred that it's only natural to be that way.

All this broo-hah-hah has got me to tihnknig about the way in which I live and more specifically, it hearkens me back ot a chapel service that we had during this school year that was hosted by our illustrious Dean of Students. This particular chapel service was designed to encourage us to continue living a Chrisitan life; one that is truly different from the way in which we normally live life.

The centerpiece of the night was a song by Steven Curtis Chapman called "The Change". Just in case you haven't heard the song before, here's the chorus so that you have some context:

What about the change
What about the difference
What about the grace
What about forgiveness
What about a life that's showing
I'm undergoing the change

This song seems to codify what I've been thinking about for the last while during my transition in life. I feel that the question "What about the change?" can be looked at from two different perspectives in my current situation; both of which are valuable and need to be considered.


Perspective #1:

The first way of looking at this question is a perspective that focuses on the event that we call change. Essentially, with this perspective, we are asking ourselves "What about the change?!?!" This is the way that people often feel when they are initially thrust into a life-changing situation for the first time and they are unsure how to deal with it. By questioning their environment, they hope that they can begin to make sense of it and carry on from there.

And a healthy dose of environment-questioning can be a good thing, as long as we are willing to look at the situation and then take action on it. If we just sit around pondering and obsessing over a seemingly overwhelming situation, then we go "nowhere fast". It's like treading in wet concrete; you may be able to keep your head where there is air, but given time, you'll get more and more stuck.

So, I will question the change so that I decide how to act and most importantly, actually do it.


Perspective #2:

The other perspective on this is to look at the change in one's self and say "What about the change?" Essentially, we need to question whether or not there really is a change happening in our lives. The effect of this question is more of a reality check than anything else. This part is all about follow-through. We need to chack and see if what we are actually committing to is actually happening and more importantly, if it has any lasting effects.

What happens as a result of this reality check is totally up to you.


So, whenever I hear or think about this song...that's where my mind goes and that's what I'm going to do.

Hope you guys are encouraged; I miss you all.

4 Comments:

At May 13, 2006, Blogger doxasky said...

I'm having a hard time right now focusing on what you've written, so I will come back to read it again another time. I can say, however, that while everyone seems to be in this "transition" stage, it does not seem as though I am at that point yet...give me a month and a half an I may be able to begin to relate.

 
At May 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the point: you relate the encouragement "to continue living a Chrisitan life; one that is truly different from the way in which we normally live life." However, what you have written here seems little more than what is seen in "New Year's Resolutions," or any call to "Living Healthy" in the pop culture, or the "Lifestyle Change" spoken of in any major religion. Perhaps you should focus on the definition of that "change" which you speak of. As it sits right now, there is nothing uniquely "Christian" about "deciding how to act, and doing it" (independent thought), and "questioning whether or not there really is a change" (self-awareness). The challenge Mr. Chapman speaks of is against hypocrisy in Christian pop-culture, not necessarily the effects of living the Christian lifestyle. He is not attempting to define that change, rather to say that it needs to exist. What that change is, specificly, should be the focus in your thoughts.

 
At May 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back Shawn! So what practical steps to this "change" there? The previous response made some good points, how do we as Christians make our lives different than anyone who is trying to "better" themselves? Is there an actual difference? I know that my magazines and pilates books sound fairly similar so what is the difference, is there a difference?
just some random ponderings, talk to you later
anna

 
At May 22, 2006, Blogger Jason Kerr said...

Thank you for finally writing something. I was beginning to wonder if you had died.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home